Old 07-21-15, 07:04 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
LOL! I walk and/or ride in the city every day and see very little of what you describe. Indeed, yesterday I almost got hit by a cyclist who blew a red light. That happens nearly every week. Same deal with motorists. The bike share program has made things hairier. Lots more sidewalk riding and salmon. Two people on bike share bikes were recently seen riding on I-676 through the center of town--at night when there was a decent amount of traffic.

Take a ride down the Pine Street bike lane east of the Schuykill River and you will usually find cars and delivery trucks stopped in them. Same for Spruce St. You see, what the city did is make it illegal to park in a bike lane, as opposed to stop in a bike lane. IIRC, you aren't parked unless you have been there for more than 15 min. And on Saturdays and Sundays there is special dispensation given to people who are attending services at certain houses of worship.

Me thinks your perception is skewed by the fact that a lot of people are "down the shore" or up in the mountains between Friday and Monday. The GF and I love to take weekend rides to dinner and movies in July and August because the city is relatively empty. Things will be back to normal after Labor Day.