View Single Post
Old 07-21-15, 04:34 PM
cny-bikeman 
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1 Miyata Biker View Post
This has always been the accepted way to inflate any tube/tire combination. You always want a small amount of air in the tube ( new or repaired ) to make it take the shape of the tire. This makes it less likely that you will catch the tube with the pry bar ( if one or two are used to remount the tire to the rim ). I've always used talc on the tube when inserting it into the tire. Always get the air nozzle side installed first and carefully tuck the tube inside the tire and make sure no part of the tube is outside the rim. Seat the tire carefully on one side of the rim and then the other side, using a pry bar only if necessary to prevent damage to the tube or the tire. Inflate a few pounds, check the tire sidewalls, deflate, the inflate to the desired pressure. Don't forget to use some "spit" on the valve tube to make sure the valve core isn't lose ( schrader valves ).
Three points of contention to the above.

1. Pry bars (tire levers/irons) should be avoided in remounting if at all possible. It is very seldom necessary with proper technique and can easily damage a tube or even the rim. As the OP noted it's usually effective to get the tube out from under the bead by manipulating the tire and tube, rather than using a tool.

2. There will be more slack to install the 2nd bead if you start opposite the valve stem (air nozzle) and finish just to one side of it. If you mount first at the valve stem it interferes with pushing the tire toward the center of the rim where the radius is smaller.

3. One important step is after both beads are mounted to push the valve stem into the tire, push the tire toward the rim, and then gently pull the valve back out.

Don't tell me what "should" be - either it is, it isn't, or do something about it.

If you think I'm being blunt take it as a compliment - if I thought you were too weak to handle the truth or a strong opinion I would not bother.

Please respect others by taking the time to post clearly so we can answer quickly. All lowercase and multiple typos makes for a hard read. Thanks!