Old 07-22-15, 10:49 AM
Camplex

Bikes: Vitus 979, 1981 Peugeot Super Competition PXN10E, Peugeot P18T, Crescent Pepita Special 318 Rando, 1984 Ross Mt. Whitney, 1974 Schwinn Le Tour, Soma Grand Randonneur V.2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New find: 1979 Peugeot Super Comp. - all original?

Hello all!

I had the good fortune last weekend of stumbling upon a deal a couple of hours south of me, in a Peugeot Super Competition listed for a quarter of what I've seen them listed for... So my wife and I rush down there and meet a nice older couple with this old bike in their pickup. Indeed, it is a Peugeot Super Competition, what I believe is a '79, with the Stronglight cranks, Maillard 700 hubs, Simplex derailleurs and retrofriction shifters (woo hoo!), Spidel/Mafac brakes, Ideale 2001 saddle, Reynolds 531 frame + fork, etc. I believe this is all original, yes? The pic below by the telephone line is a solid "before" shot while the successive photos show where the bike is now. I've put new Pasela tires on there, a new chain, and I've cleaned several parts, taking them apart, lubing, and reassembling. I'll redo the brake cables and do the handlebars next...

What do folks think of the Super Competition? Are there any issues the bike prone to that I should be aware of? Also, is there any way of attaching a rack? Or would that be blasphemous?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P-SC-2.jpg (95.7 KB, 181 views)
P-SC-3.jpg (91.3 KB, 138 views)
P-SC-4.jpg (93.7 KB, 149 views)
P-SC-1.jpg (101.1 KB, 150 views)

Last edited by Camplex; 07-22-15 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Added more info