Old 07-22-15, 08:05 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ajkollme
Second, if Africans have inferior slow twitch mucles, why do they win marathons so frequently? African men have won every single Boston marathon since 1988 with the exception of three (one of whom was Meb Keflezighi, who is an American born in Eritrea, which makes him African).
Both of you should look up the difference between fast and slow twitch muscles. "Fast twitch muscles" are the muscles (and energy sources) used when the muscle is only engaged for X seconds or less (I forget the number.) "Slow twitch muscles" are used when the muscle is engaged for longer. "Slow" muscles use a quickly depleteable energy source whereas the "fast" ones have a much more replenishable energy source.

I feel that in cycling more slow twitch muscles get used than running, but the majority is still fast twitch. Where as in running every step releases the other leg's muscles. I really don't know though. In running you see very thin distance runners. Distance is very aerobic. Where as in cycling you need the leg strength and the aerobic strength. I don't often see black people with massive legs and a very skinny upper body. But, that argument may be circular because generally that body type is reserved for cyclists.

If you REALLY want to know, go read the Exercise Science book. It gets boring really quick. (I hate bio.)