Old 07-24-15, 06:43 AM
Deal4Fuji
minimalist cyclist

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 1,641 Times in 944 Posts
I just can't see the justification for clipless unless you're doing a lot of sprinting / racing. I'm officially a roadie more than a hybrid rider now, having found a bike club that rides 25 miles every Mon & Wed evening and longer weekend rides. I love it and have made some good friends there, but I'm the only guy riding steel and without clipless pedals. Peer pressure is getting heavy but I've read empirical research here on BF saying there is no (or very minute) power generated on the pull stroke, it's all push on the downstroke. I have good balance and have no problems standing on hills, so I just don't see the benefit to clipless. One time drinking from my water bottle I drifted just slightly to the edge of the road and my wheel slid off and I lost balance. It was just after a turn and we weren't going that fast, so I was able to quickly get a foot down and right myself. If I was clipped in there's no way I could have unclipped and got a foot down in time, and I would have been on the road. I'm fully invested in the need for the kit, mirror, front & rear lights, hydration, seat bag, and of course helmet....but I'm stubbornly holding on to my running shoes on the pedals. Also I have size 14 feet

Last edited by Deal4Fuji; 07-24-15 at 06:48 AM.