Old 07-26-15, 07:47 AM
Brynn
Doesn't Even Own a Bike

Bikes: none

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craigslist/Ebay advice, please? College kid looking for 1st bike.

[strike]I'm a newb, please don't shoot [/strike]

Hi, guys! I know the whole "pick the newb's bike" thing must be done to death here, but I've read the sticky and done searches (mostly on Dahon), and still am unsure of what to get.

First off, I guess it's important to know me before picking a bike. I'm an Asian SoCal college kid who learned early how to ride, but never had my own bike. I'm 5'6" and fluctuate between 124-132lbs, usually around 126lbs. I've got a very small, slight frame compared to most other Americans and am currently pretty weak, but am lucky to be somewhat naturally athletic. Beyond the occasional sit-ups and push-ups, the only exercise I get is walking a couple miles to the store. I want to change that and become more fit.

I also have suffered from severe depression for most of my life. However, exercise has been proven to help and I do like exploring even though I can't drive yet, so I want to get a small bike that can go with me everywhere, from home, to school, to stores and medical facilities, to the beach, and everywhere in between.

My budget is very low, since I'm currently unable to work a "normal job" due to too many debilitating issues. I primarily rely on my parents, though I'm currently expanding my Etsy shop's repertoire. We're talking $140 max budget right now; maybe up to $250 if my parents back me up. I can go up to $400 if I hold off (and I'm likely to).

I want a folding bike so I can bring it to class/shopping/etc. and don't have to worry about there not being enough room on the bus for it, nor about it getting stolen. So, it appears what I'm looking for is a lightweight bike that:
- folds with relative ease and speed
- folds small and isn't difficult to transport in a canvas bag
- is able to take long hills (I live in a valley surrounded by many small mountains, and the trek to one of my schools involves a gradual hill that goes on for a few miles).
- Not sure if I'm entirely opposed to a single-speeder, but until I know my biking skill better I'd prefer multi-speed.

I'm primarily considering used bikes since I don't want a cheap Walmart bike and am willing to learn how to work with the ride that folders are said to offer, and need input on what would be best for me.
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/sear...&query=folding

I got overwhelmed after just looking up reviews of those two companies and other folder-related things, so now I'm on this lovely forum!

All else fails, I'm considering holding off for now and saving for one of these: Downtube Nova
** EDIT: Please see my 2nd post for my questions about Downtube bikes.

Sorry for the lengthiness, but I tried to be thorough. Bolded important bits for ease of skimming, cuz I know unlike me, not everyone likes reading. Thank you so much for your time!!

Last edited by Brynn; 07-29-15 at 06:28 PM. Reason: culling verbosity/clarifying reasons