Old 07-26-15, 04:04 PM
TheManShow
Banned

Bikes: Old rusty bucket of bolts

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if I should take a chance on a pre owned frame & fork?

So this whole Craig List -E-bay thing is new to me, but yesterday I drove an hour to look at what I believe to be a vintage "X" brand bike. Circa 1993- 1996ish.

So in route the owner tells me he used it as a road trainer, and he did some mountin bike racing. Now he tells me it was road raced once. Then he say bike has sat maybe eight years as he had "C" spine surgury.

Inspection tells me it is the era I suspect with "gray 600" components. There is a clear cover missing on one of the shifter STI but that could have come off from heat & time. The shewer on back wheel is gawaled like it was rubbed against cement. Frame has a couple of minor scratches, but decals are like 99% ok.

Honestly the bike it drity, grity, and all I can do is feel to see if there are any obvious crack or chipsin paint, and near lugs that could show sighs of stress from crash or abuse.

I did ride the bike a short distance, but not fast and it felt good. I honestly and debating pulling the trigger. Having the bike stripped down to frame & fork, and doing a rebuild with 11 speed ultegra.

Suggestions, as I am considering a second look**********