Old 07-27-15, 08:14 AM
MulliganAl

Bikes: 2007 Specialized Tarmac with Mavic ES wheels, 2009 Specialized Hardrock, 2014 Rivendell Sam Hillborne

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Looking to do my first commuter build and need some suggestions

I've been using my Specialized Tarmac for commuting but at 56 the form factor is beginning to take it's toll on my back so I'd like to build a really nice classic looking steel commuter. I'll still keep my Tarmac for fast solo rides when I want to get out and clear my head.

My son is finally tall enough to take my Specialized Hardrock which was my family bike so my new build will be used for commuting and for family rides. I'd like to stay around $2,000, give or take a few hundred, but I want a bike that is reasonably fast and light (light for a steel frame). I was looking at a Rivendell Sam Hillborne but with the frame alone being $1,300 I think I'd be well over $2,000 after it's all said and done so I'm looking for other possible frames.

I'd like some nice lug work on my frame and want to outfit it with nice components, a set of mustache handlebars and perhaps some hammered fenders. There are so many beautiful bikes and I've considered Vanilla (pricy and the wait is way too long) but that Townie is pretty sweet, Pashley Gov'nor and Speed 5 are nice but a bit heavy from what I'v read and I'm not sure about the riding position. Rivendell frames are nice but again I think I'd be around $3,000+ after it's all done, but I sure do love their lug work. I wouldn't even mind finding a nice older classic frame and building it up but I'm not sure which older frames are best suited to be commuters.

Well, any suggestions you folks can provide will be greatly appreciated.