Bike Forums - View Single Post - From road bike to hybrid (neck issues). Recommend a great one for longer rides?
Old 07-29-15, 03:56 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 97 Posts
OP,

I will comment from my own experience and research/reading on this matter. I nowadays ride mostly 'road', and have done for quite a few years. Typically, between 6-7000kms/year. I routinely do longer rides (50/60 miles) and have done three 'centuries'. I do this currently on a '10 Specialized Sirrus Comp (pic at the end of this post). I would use a drop-bar road bike (because I far prefer the aesthetics of them, and I'm a passionate fan of professional road cycling), but for various reasons personal to me and consequent medical advice I don't. A few points (Warning: what follows is very [and unapologetically] opinionated!).

1. By 'hybrid' these days one can mean many things. I suspect what you are looking for is a 'flat-bar road bike' like the Specialized Sirrus or Giant Fastroad. A budget of around $1500 U.S. will buy you a nice example -- including discs if that's what you'd like.

2. Assuming you are a recreational road cyclist (i.e. not racing), you will really not lose all that much in terms of 'speed' by making the switch. Seriously. Others will come along to tell you differently. They are wrong. I ignore them; so should you.

3. You could convert your Allez to flat bars. I'd suggest not doing so; your bike (geometry) was designed for drop, not flat bars. If you are going this route, why not make the switch to a 'road bike' properly designed for flat bars.

4. You can 'raise' your drop bars to give you a more 'upright' position. That's a) going to involve 'stem raisers' of various kinds, b) negate the point of drop bars, and c) look horrible (if that matters). Again, IF you are needing to make this switch, why not do it right?

5. Flat bars, even typical 'flat bars' are not inherently uncomfortable on long rides; this is especially true if you add bar ends (many flat-bar road bikes come with them stock). These allow you effectively to duplicate the hoods/tops positions on drops, which is all you need by way of varying hand positions to avoid any kind of discomfort on long rides. Others will come along to tell you otherwise. They are wrong. I ignore them; so should you.

Here endeth the sermon. A flat-bar road bike (mine):

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sirrus 2014 1.jpg (100.3 KB, 69 views)