Bike Forums - View Single Post - From road bike to hybrid (neck issues). Recommend a great one for longer rides?
Old 07-30-15, 12:24 PM
sam_cyclist
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
Thanks for all the replies, this is a lot of good info for me and I really appreciate it.

I'm going to start with NormanF's suggestion, I ordered an adjustable stem riser and will see how that goes. I've got to think that by bringing my arms up and back, riding will be more comfortable and easier on my neck. If that doesn't do it for me, I'll probably start looking at other bikes. I visited my LBS today and they told me that nearly all hybrids are really not very good bikes, and I might be stepping down. but not sure how true that really is. I assume that Nid would disagree with that.

I need to re-read the replies and digest a bit more, but thanks again, this really helps.
Best of luck, I think it's a good start.

There may be other issues, however. There could be a whole host of factors. This is why I recommend a fitting. You don't necessarily have to do a full $350 pro fitting. Some shops offer a quite thorough fitting in the $150 to $200 range.

The key thing is to make sure that the bike fits you properly overall: that means proper saddle height, fore/aft, tt length, stem length and rise.

The process can be thorough or very basic, depending on your budget, but you are better off making sure the key measures are all in line.

For all we know, you may not even have the proper bike size.