Old 08-03-15, 11:07 AM
diabloridr

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, Calfee Dragonfly, Ancient Sun Fixie, Trek 5900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbke View Post
To the OP, you claimed Di2 is the best shifting their is. If you don't mind me asking, I see a lot of posts from cyclists wanting to validate what they have, but who don't have a lot of experience with really anything else. I take it you've had a lot of Saddle time with Campagnolo Record/Super Record and Campagnolo EPS to make that claim? I think the electronic groups are a reaction to how finicky 10/11 speeds became. You can't keep stuffing more cogs in the same space without things getting persnickety. In my opinion the Campagnolo made Sachs New Success 8-speed group is the best shifting group I've ever used. I've not used the electronic groups, but I'd buy an old Mavic Zap or Mektronic (who did it first, and twice!) if they actually worked.
I started riding on 6-speed cogsets and have progressed up to the 11-speed Di2 on the Calfee.

I wouldn't debate what gruppo has the best the shifting quality when new out of the box and properly adjusted, but what has really impressed me with Di2 are the high quality shifts and lack of maintenance needed. Except for a simple rear derailleur adjustment I performed after my second ride, I have not needed to adjust derailleur settings in nearly 2 years. No cable and housing to replace every 6 months or so.

No experience with EPS to see how it compares.

Tight lateral cog spacings do require an engineering emphasis on high quality pivots with tolerances which will degrade gracefully over time. Electric step-motors are a competitive solution to this design problem, and the ability to auto-trim front shifts allows derailleur cage design options not possible with mechanical systems.