Bike Forums - View Single Post - Gift of older Raleigh bike -- diamond in the rough, or just rough?
Old 08-04-15, 12:46 PM
3940dxer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gift of older Raleigh bike -- diamond in the rough, or just rough?

Pardon my ignorance, but I know very little about older bikes like this.

I'll be riding from San Francisco to L.A. later in the year with my brother in law, who's coming from Thailand. He's a strong and experienced cyclist but doesn't own any kind of road bike. So the plan is that I'll round up a suitable bike for him for our ride, and then he'll bring it home to Thailand when he goes back.

A good friend's neighbor gave him this old Raleigh, which he in turn offered to me for my brother in law. The size is correct for my brother in law. Obviously, it has sat for quite a while and is in fairly rough condition. The tires are shot. The rear wheel wobbles a bit from side to side when I spin it. The chain and sprockets are pretty rusty.

I don't mind putting a few hundred bucks into it, if this is potentially a pretty nice bike, and you think it would be reliable in the end, for our 500 mile 2 week ride.

If I don't go ahead with this bike, I'd probably look for a new bike in the $500-$750 range…maybe one of my local bike shops would have some kind of blowout deal. It would be nice to save money and not buy a new bike, but I want my brother in law to have a good reliable bike that he can use for years and feel proud of.

Here's a photo, and thanks in advance for any advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCN7627.jpg (108.3 KB, 67 views)