Old 08-04-15, 08:42 PM
bres dad

Bikes: '84 Paramount, '89 Schwinn 754, '13 Specialized RockHopper, Trek Domane 4.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 3 Posts
Trek Domane 4.3 issues... ready to get rid of the damn bike

Ok, not quite ready but getting frustrated. I'm used to metal bikes and how they behave, not full on carbon fiber (lack of knowledge & experience may be part of the problem.) I bought a new 2015 Domane 4.3 from a local store that gave me a price break just as the price on the model went up a few hundred bucks. I previously had an aluminum Domane 2.0 that I upgraded the hell out of (actually weighed in less than then carbon fiber 4.3 that replaced it.) In short here are my issues and tell me what if anything can be done. First, other than the rims, the bike is stock save full 105 crank & brakes (had a cheap generic Shimano crank and tectro brakes).

Issue 1: Excessive chain slap. You hit a bump and the chain slaps on the stays. You stop pedaling all of a sudden and the chain slaps. Annoying and I've heard of issues where excessive chain slap can cause the carbon fiber to chip and crack on the chain stays. I put a lizard Skins protector on it to try to absorb some of the slapping. I never had this on my 2.0 (I assume it due to the larger chain stays and the chain in higher gears (smaller tooth gears, 11-12 teeth) and the fact there is virtually no tollerance where you can't put your finger between the chain & the chain stay.

Issue 2: Headset popping.
I've noticed a distinction in popping of the chain slamming on the chain stays and a popping in the front of the bike what seems like at random. I briefly explained the issue to the LBS I bought this new at and he siad it was just head set popping. Didn't elaborate and say if its something to be concerned with, normal or what. Is that normal? I know my steel or alumimum bikes don't do that so why is it doing that?

Issue 3: I've got a set of Vuelta Corsa SLR rims. I noticed tonight there is about 1/4 side to side play in the cassette & freehub. Have to wonder how much of the noise and occasional shift problems that accounts for. They're not the factory rim and can be changed back so I can send that in and get it fixed.

so please tell me hoe much of 1 & 2 might be normal or not. 3 is a matter of sending the rims back and get them fixed or replaced. Just seems like I shoulnd't be going through this much trouble for what I spent on this. Thoughts?

Last edited by bres dad; 08-05-15 at 05:27 AM.