Old 08-05-15, 07:59 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by scroca
My bikes have always been based on practical considerations, even though decisions were not always the best.

For the first time I went looking for the ideal (for me) commuter. This spring I set my wish list in motion and my lbs put together this:

Frame: Seven Cycles custom titanium Expat SL
Fork: Carbon fiber with fender eyelets
Seat post: PRO Vibe 7s with battery insert
Saddle: Brooks B17
Stem: PLT OS Stem100mm
Handlebars: PLT Ergo Handlebars
Headset: Cane Creek 110
Rims: DT Swiss TK540
Front Hub: Shimano Alfine Dynamo
Rear Hub: Shimano Alfine Di2 11 speed Internal
Tires: Schwalbe Marathon Plus 700x 28
Brake/Shifter(s): Shimano 785 Di2 Hydro
Brake Calipers: Shimano Alfine Hydraulic
Bottom Bracket: Shimano 5700
Crankset: Shimano 5700 42t Single
Rear Cog: 18t
Lights: Supernova headlight & tail light which run off the front hub
Fenders: SKS Chromoplasics Longboard

I went with a touring frame so I don't have to worry about heal strike with panniers and titanium so the frame won't rust.
Currently I am using a Caradice bag but I will soon switch to a rear rack with panniers. At that time I will also install the fenders.

The last winter was really tough on my Surly LHT since I ride so much of the time along a highway shoulder where gritty sand/gravel accumulates in the winter. When wet it forms a paste that is very hard on drive train components. My solution was to go with an IGH.

Also, to cure the problem of constantly having to recharge lights (and remember to put them on the bike after I do) I went with lights run off the dynamo hub so they never leave the bike and are always on.
That is a FABULOUS BIKE!!! I really love all your choices! You really researched it out? That's pretty much a dream bike. It would be nice if the rear IGH were a Rohloff... but I don't know if it would work with Di2 shifters on drop bars. Alfine 11 is the next best thing. Good Job! I really envy your bicycle.

Last edited by InTheRain; 08-05-15 at 08:04 PM.