Old 08-06-15, 02:01 AM
verktyg 
verktyg

Bikes: Current favorites: 1988 Peugeot Birraritz, 1984 Gitane Super Corsa, 1981 Bianchi Campione Del Mondo, 1992 Paramount OS, 1990 Bianchi Mondiale, 1988 Colnago Technos, 1985 RalieghUSA Team Pro, 1973 Holdsworth

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Greetings,

1. When you say missing, I don't understand... Please elaborate.

2. Why do you want to add a link to the chain?

3. What brand of chain is on the bike?

Bike chains have been getting narrower as freewheels and Cassettes get more sprockets. Chains made for 6 and 7 speed freewheels and cassettes are not as easy to find these days. Those systems came out in the late 70's and early 80's.

SRAM and others make chains for 6-7-8 speed sprockets. I've been using the SRAM PC850 and PC 870 chains on 6 to 8 speed setups without any problems. The PC 870 chains have nickel plated side links ans are more expensive.

A lot of newer chains come with easy to use master links that allow you to break the chain without tools.

There are tools that make this easier if you plan on frequently removing the chain for cleaning. Park Master Link Pliers work well for this.

A lot of folks like KMC brand chains. I don't have any experience with them so I can't comment...

Some chains like the uber expensive Shimano and Campagnlo models require special replacement pins... They like to sell chains!

Here's a good link that explains chains:

Chain Replacement And Repair - Cary, Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Apex - The Bicycle Chain

verktyg

Chas.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SRAM-PC-850Chain.jpg (40.4 KB, 5 views)
SRAM-PC-870Chain.jpg (39.6 KB, 5 views)
KMC-ChainLinks.jpg (47.1 KB, 9 views)
Park-MLP-12.jpg (23.9 KB, 5 views)

Chas. ;-)