Old 08-08-15, 11:01 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pederson racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I will say that chain manufacturing has come a long way since Suntour sold any of their DID-made derailer chains. Those Suntour-branded chains were poor by today's standards, in terms of shifting, wear and durability.
Their earlier, standard-width 6s chains were even worse, again both in terms of shifting and reliability (as are most of those ancient-technology chains), and require much heavier (by today's standards) lubrication.

KMC makes two 7-8s versions/widths of Missing Link, the II version is narrower (for Sachs/SRAM chain, for certain models of IG chain, and for certain of the exotics like Rohloff).

7-8s chains are also available in widths from 7.1 to 7.3mm. Narrower chain is, in general, much better for friction shifting, and for use with Suntour 7s freewheels (I use only 9s chain on those).

KMC chain is offered in both a "Z" grade and "X" grade. The "X"-grade versions are far more durable and long-lasting, and have much better dimensional consistency, especially in terms of link-to-link pitch, which in theory can affect sprocket wear.

Among 9s chains, I strongly prefer Shimano and KMC, using a KMC or SRAM connector link. Shimano and KMC 9s chain has a narrower pin width (versus the width across the bulged sideplates), unlike SRAM, so shifts more aggressively (shifts "earlier" to larger sprockets), both on the chainrings and when friction-shifting on Uniglide and Suntour freewheels. Again, this last tidbit of info is specific to 9s chain.

Last edited by dddd; 08-08-15 at 11:09 AM.