Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
The frame on your 01 Hardrock is totally outdated. Even a used Rockhopper from the 26er era would be a big improvement.
I'm curious why you say this. Mine is actually an 02, I think, it's solid blue. The frame is the same or at least very similar to the Rockhopper of the same year. It's "A1" aluminum, has a disk mount, takes English bottom brackets and 1-1/8" threadless headsets like most bikes. Looking at the archive it appears they were all the same through 2004 and it's still not all that different today except the tubes are curved and the spacing is for 29er.

I think it's the components that make the difference. For this thread I concentrated on the fork, but the OEM parts on it were pretty junky. Over the years I've replaced most of the drivetrain except the RD, and the rear wheel has had several spokes replaced. I'm satisfied with mostly Acera-level parts and not too worried about weight but the bikes with the lowest air forks start about Deore level.

Santa Cruz is nice but really not in the cards any time soon... I still need the wife to get over the cost of the tandem! That'll take a year.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 08-10-15 at 10:55 AM.