Old 08-10-15, 07:23 AM
jfowler85

Bikes: '93 911 Turbo 3.6

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
I am not going to take the time to search and pull up the PD A600 pedal specific info. But most Shimano pedals use cup and cone bearings housed in a cartridge unit that slips into the pedal body. Sure they have seals but I doubt the bearings are what I would call a pre assembled radial bearing that has seals incorporated into the bearing it's self. Most of the Shimano pedals I've worked with are user adjustable WRT the bearing pre load.

As to the cleat engagement ease. The shoe sole has a LOT to do with this. the greater the pedal platform size the more how the cleat is recessed becomes an issue. many times the sole's walking surface contacts the pedal platform before the cleat fully seats within the pedal jaws. Try placing a piece of thin shim stock on either side of the pedal jaws and then engage the shoe/cleat. Can you easily wiggle the shim stock? If not then the shoe sole and pedal platform are likely trapping it. Meaning that the two contact each other. Sometimes careful sole surface removal (grinding) will allow the cleat to seat deeper into the jaws. Andy.
It's sealed in that it is a unit bearing, the same way my 2500 Ram uses a "sealed" front hub/bearing assembly. The individual bearings are not meant to be accessed, and the unit is replaced as a whole. Whether or not it is sealed from the elements is up for debate...but there is no point in arguing over semantics. The point of my asking is that I don't know how to adjust bearing preload, and it seems odd that loosening the only nut on the axel - which on every other pedal I've ever installed is the nut which adjusts preload - does not affect the issue until the axel is taken out of the pedal. So essentially you haven't really told me anything here.

It turns out the shoe has nothing to do with binding tightness - when I swap out cleats with my worn in sh-56s, that issues disappears.

Originally Posted by sch View Post
Here is Shimano's pdf: http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830820606.pdf
They are not sealed bearings but loose bearings, and there are two nuts on the outside of the axle along with the lock bolt which will adjust the preload.
In addition the allen socketed bolt near the "SHIMANO" logo at the rear top of the pedal is used to loosen or tighten the cleat binding force. Probably
turning this CCW will loosen the binding force. Some lubrication helps also. See also A Stewart on cleat/shoe aspects of this.
Adjusting the bindings was my first course of action for the tightness; no luck there, but the issue appears to be the cleats.

I see the document is labeled 2013, but when I pull the axle out of the pedal I am seeing a different bearing unit, and there is only 1 nut on the outside of the axle. It seems information on this pedal set is scant...I'll take it apart the next time I strip the bike down and take another look.

Last edited by jfowler85; 08-10-15 at 07:35 AM.