Old 08-12-15, 02:45 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
I'm not sure you even want to go out on your bike to find your max. I was hammering up a climb last week and (according to the cardiologist) I tore a bit of my heart muscle while sustaining 175 bpm (I'm 65) and it was on a long climb I know well so I sure wasn't hammering as much as I could (I had seen 187 bpm a month or two ago).

And . . . I know it's senseless to tell you go easy out there while trying to find your max heart rate; that's not how it works! Just saying that before you go all out, you may want to check with your doctor. My cardiologist has limited me to 165 bpm now.

Which, of course, has to be via my self-limiting . . . and watching my heart rate on my Garmin, but still; I am trying to keep to that - much lower than max - limit.

Rick / OCRR
I was jogging on the treadmill a few weeks ago (not something I usually do) HR steady in the 150's, and it scared the snot out of me when it suddenly jumped to the 220's. Several times. I'm 99% sure that it was just spurious readings by the built-in hr monitor, but that 1% uncertainty still scares me. I'm more inclined to stick with the bike now.