Old 08-13-15, 08:39 AM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1224 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty View Post
I don't know which parent taught it to me: I learned to stand facing the bike with the pedal forward, put my weight on the pedal and launch the bike with it, then throw the other leg over once moving. I can do them together pretty fluidly. I don't think about it. It's pretty much like pushing a kick scooter from the wrong side.

It never occurred to me I was doing anything improper until I read disdainful screeds on the Internet calling it the "Cowboy Mount" and it still doesn't feel improper enough to not do.
I've seen quite a few people do that and never thought much of it. Aside from some extra lateral stress on your wheels, it seems like a perfectly fine method (and I doubt that lateral stress is any worse than a full bore sprint applies). I've been meaning to practice some quick mount and dismount technique (just for the heck of it) and the 'Cowboy Mount' seems like a good segway into the flying CX mount.