View Single Post
Old 08-15-15, 02:21 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 12 Posts
Two of my bikes are ideal L'Eroica builds, and both are French. Ironically, my Simoncini would probably not pass inspections due to cantilever brakes! My Serotta would pass but fitting anything larger than a 700x28 is tight.

The PX10 will fit a 700x30 tire easily and fits many 700x32. It's currently fitted with 700x32 Compass Stampede Pass clinchers.

For full details see: http://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...ld-thread.html

To help with the hills, I've updated a Stronglight 93 crankset with a Red Clover Triplitizer. The chainrings are now 46, 42 & 30 which will provide a half step and a granny gearing if I use a 13-15-17-20-23-26 freewheel which is ready to install. I'll use this wheelset most of the time.

I'm not a masher and like to sit and spin at a 90 to 105 rpm cadence. The Red Clover triplitizer with the 46, 42 and 30 chainrings covers the 10 to 25 mph range with tight gear spacing. It also allows me to use a short cage rear derailleur with a triple. A 46 chainring is ideal for me. I can hold almost 30 mph on a 46 chainring chainring with a 13 cog on the freewheel. I won't be walking too many hills with that 30t granny gear, either.

An NOS Simplex rear derailleur and a NOS Suntour front derailleur were installed. A Dura ace set of shifters were added along with a very nice Huret cable guide.

A OE PX10 wheelset arrived with Peugeot branded (Mallaird made) hubs and Super Champion sew-up rims. A 14-15-17-19-21 five speed freewheel is mounted. This wheelset will be restored and once new tires are glued on, will be ridden on special days.

My recently acquired '77 Grand Record

The bike is all original. Every component (except the saddle and bar tape) matches the 1977 Motobecane catalog, including the Michelin Elan tires. The owner said he might have used the bike all of 200 miles and the lack of use is obvious.

It's going to need a tear-down and deep cleaning. There is some corrosion from storage in a basement, but it looks superficial. The seatpost came out without effort and I'm not finding any serious rust or other problems.

I finally have a stock bike from this era that fits me, and I'll keep it all original.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 08-17-15 at 04:19 PM.