'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by duongrn
Crankset: I picked up a FSA Energy compact crankset and was hoping to use that. The link you sent me had some good stuff. But I didn't want to spend on a new crank.
Ah, OK, you are already set then, never mind me. Next project, right?

I've got a 12% mile climb on my commute, hence the need for the 34 cassette. I have one bike that uses 27 cassette and I can get up the hill...I am just looking for a little more help.
Indeed, 12% for a mile is fairly stiff . . . but still, 34x34 seems awfully low, even for a wuss like me. Nevertheless, you know better than me what you need or not You can always change out cassettes later on if you find you're not using the lowest combination and/or want the finer granularity versus bigger range.

Am I correct in saying that the derailleur length is only an issue for like a triple crank and that the a short cage should be okay then?
Yes (again, check the specs for the specific model you have in mind to make sure it can handle the largest cog of the cassette you plan to purchase). Cage length alone does not determine large cog capacity.

Is your Sora shifter a 8 speed or 9 speed shifter out of curiousity?
8 (I don't think there's a Sora 9 . . . though apparently there was a Sora 7 at one time).