View Single Post
Old 08-18-15, 10:49 AM
Dilberto

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 7 Posts
"Half Moon" Fork Dropout Shims?

I only need 3-4mm of clearance in my disc fork. Front tire(700x33c) slightly rubs inside the crown, at steerer bottom(Cannondale Headshok fork). I use tires on a disc brake urban commuter with some dry packed dirt, so I need the comfort of 33mm width. Rear has plenty of clearance. I can manually set the wheel 3mm lower in the fork...but I really don't want to rely on my front skewer(Mavic internal cam) clamping force solely. I'm currently running 55psi on both tires(Clement LAS CX tires). I need something solid for the front axle to drop into, that I can remove fairly easily.

I have read people use cut spoke sections, ball bearings/BBs, solder, hard ABS plastic, drill/tap tiny screws....all I need is something that does not break the bank, requiring hours of fabrication. See I highlighted "hard ABS plastic" because it can be trimmed with a blade and affixed with double-stick tape. Can this possibly work, or will constant load-bearing deform it? Ideally, I'd love to tap a small Woodruff key inside the dropout....but do they make such small keys(4mm x 11mm)?

Last edited by Dilberto; 08-20-15 at 03:43 PM.