View Single Post
Old 08-24-15, 10:18 PM
prof.gfr

Bikes: '72 Raleigh Sports, '73 Dawes Galaxy Clubman conversion, '73 Schwinn World Voyageur, '87 Miyata 615gt, 1980s Miyata city bike, 80s Jack Taylor Tandem, 80s Mike Melton Touring Tandem, '94 Specialized Stumpjumper, '04 LeMond Poprad, '09 Yuba Mundo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Apologies for jumping into an old thread, but I just got a Jack Taylor Touring tandem with cantis and front and rear Phil Wood discs. Sounds like I will want to take off the Discs, according to most folks. Although the main concern seems to be catastrophic failure, is the other concern that you risk exposing yourself to asbestos fibers? Do they actually disintegrate during use?

Most importantly, if I remove them:
1. Can I just unthread them and still use the Phil Hubs (which seem in good shape)?

2. Also, can I install an Arai Drum brake (assuming I can find one) as a drag brake in the back? Will it thread onto the Phil Wood hub? I will need a third brake to ride Dairyland Dare with the tandem next year (some very steep descents).

Thans for your help.

Originally Posted by aixaix
I know of no source for parts.
Like many others, I have taken them off our tandem and stashed them under a work bench because they are too funky to toss.

Although it is a true disc brake, it works more like an automotive clutch. The disc spins with the hub: when the brake is applied, the disc is clamped between two stationary plates around its full circumference.

It is clever, but I don't think it is elegant. It is heavy and complicated, and a bear to set up and adjust. It makes removing and especially installing the wheel a pain. It stops well when it is adjusted properly, but no better than cantis.

Unreliability is only one reason I don't use them.