Old 08-31-15, 07:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Might be a good opportunity to politicize the issue and declare Wash, DC, and surroundings a bike friendly zone, with PSAs on TV and movie theaters. It'd set a good precedent and slowly chip away at the resistance and outright hostility toward cyclists. After reading Fakebook comments on our local newspaper's article about making Texas more bike friendly, it appears many motorists still consider it open season on cyclists. One truck driver actually got the most Fakebook likes for saying "Either bicycles ride the speed limit, get out of my way or get run over." Stay classy, Texas, stay classy.

Originally Posted by Chris516
Was your commute along OGR or on the bike paths?
I don't remember the exact location of our apartment. Some sullen cinder block multi-story horror east of Silver Spring. My commute took me through part of Rock Creek Park, then Jones Mill or Jones Bridge, to the National Naval Medical Center. I was a Corpsman in C School there during '78.

Not to hijack the intent of this thread, but thinking of Rock Creek Park recalled another incident. My commutes were so early and late that I missed rush hour and rarely saw more than a couple of vehicles crossing Rock Creek Park. I knew there was a jogging/bike path but the one time I tried it the dang thing was so narrow and crowded with trees that I nearly ran over poor joggers. After that I used the paved road.

One early morning some curmudgeon kept honking at me and waving furiously. I just ignored him. Finally he swerved in front of me to block the road, hobbled out and waved his fists hollering "Git on the bike path ya punk. You whippersnappers etc. etc. etc." I tried to explain to the poor feller that the path was too narrow and bikes posed a danger to joggers, while I was riding at times when there was almost zero traffic. Except for you, sir, and if you don't mind I'm just gonna ignore your rants and be on my way, thank you kindly.

At least that's how I remember it. I'm pretty sure I didn't cuss. I have a couple of manners, and he used at least one of 'em.