View Single Post
Old 09-09-15, 05:20 PM
williamskg6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Sanity check

I'm new here, but wanted to see whether my plans are do-able or in need of adjustment.

I have a Jamis Allegro flat bar road bike that currently has a compact double drivetrain 50/34 front, 12-25 rear, 8 speed rear (16 total gears), Shimano components. I've tried to get used to the compact double, but just don't like it. It's constantly needing front derailleur trimming and I dislike the way the gear ratios are distributed which requires constant front and rear combo shifts to get to the next gear ratio up or down. Additionally, I'd like to get a slightly lower lowest gear and I don't need the highest gear I currently have.

Here's my thought: convert it to a 1x9 drivetrain (or 1x10 if my bike can accept it). My proposed list is:
11-34 9 speed cassette (Deore XT)
Convert a triple crank to single, 42t chainring in the middle position
Shimano Zee rear derailleur
Shimano Deore XT 9 speed shifter

This should keep me in a similar range of gear ratios and give me a slightly lower low gear at a penalty of slightly less aggressive top gear. What I don't know is if you can use a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed derailleur. Also, most people doing 1x10 in with cassettes in this range are using 32 or 34 teeth up front. Are there potential issues using a 42 tooth chainring in this setup?

Last, how can I tell if I can put a 9 speed cassette on my rear hub or if it has to stay 8 speed? If it will take 9, will it take 10 (making a 1x10 instead)? I'm pretty new to this swapping components thing. I'm open to using 10 speed as well, but don't know if my hub can accept it.

Thanks in advance for any wisdom you all can provide.