View Single Post
Old 09-10-15, 08:45 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fastfwd01
I have very recently picked up a pretty pricey new bike - Cervelo R5 Dura Ace. Now, I'm starting to consider how to handle keeping it secure while traveling and at events. This is my first year of attending events and I've been pretty shocked to see how casually people with super expensive bikes and components leave them unsecured at events. They have more faith in their fellow man than I do most certainly.

My main question for this topic is what everyone's experience has been with what is referenced as *secure* bike checks at events? I'm going to guess that with what I've seen in terms of people leaving their $10k bikes with $3k wheels propped up against a wall unattended that the majority will say that there is nothing to worry about - it's *secure.* Is it? Is there any liability on behalf of the event if it's not and it was claimed to be possibly? Do they carry insurance for that maybe?
Think "safety in numbers."
Secure bike checks are good for keeping bikes in order, so you don't have to worry about where you put it and whether it's in anybody's way. Any sizable, close collection of bikes with riders coming and going is reasonably secure from theft. What's most vulnerable is the straggler out by itself, regardless of what kind of lock is on it.