View Single Post
Old 09-11-15, 03:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,427 Posts
There are a number of options, depending on floor plan and ceiling height. Some of the floor-ceiling racks hold 4 bikes by design.

Then there are the creative options, like raising a bed 18"-2' off the floor, and making a flat area that bikes can be slid into form 3 sides, with the wheels overlapping in the center.

Years ago, when I lived in a tiny Manhattan apartment with 2 road bikes, I stored one wheels off in a closet, and the active one in a slot I made by moving some furniture away from the wall. It wasn't hidden, but at least I could sit without moving it out of my way each time.

Other places, if you have a long corridor, you can mount a track pretty high on the wall for 2 wheels, and the bike can lean into the hal over your head, restrained by a laching hook. 2 bikes can be placed this way and not be in the way. In fact, that approach can allow bikes to be stored high and out of the way, just about anywhere you don't mind looking at them.

So, it really isn't about the bikes, but about what's acceptable to your wife. Of course, you could look for a new job in another city and solve the problem altogether.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.