Old 09-11-15, 10:51 PM
illumin8em

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Giving up cars, commiting to bicycle, have around $1,200 to spend

Howdy all!

I've thought it over for the past 2 years and I'm ready to make a change. I've decided to give up owning a car and relying on a bicycle as my main mode of transportation. I would have converted sooner, but my home town in WV is probably the least conducive to bicycle commuting than anywhere else I've ever been. So, I am also moving, yeah! I'll spare you the politics/reasons behind my decision, and just get to my question. I've been saving for the move for over two years and now feel that I can free up around a $1,000 maybe a bit more to equip myself with a new bicycle. Originally I was just going to dress up my only bike, an old Trek 400 Elance, for some light touring, but the bike has always felt a bit big for me. I like old bikes, but the more I'm learning about this life the more I may want something with better touring geometry and capabilities. I realize at this price point I'm not in the frame builder arena, but I thought suggestions from learned commuters would be valuable.

If I should've included other info to aid in the discussion, please let me know.

thanks for any help,