View Single Post
Old 09-12-15, 10:24 PM
Hangtownmatt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MulliganAl
I'm coming from a CF Specialized Tarmac to a Rivendell Sam Hillborne as my main commuter and certainly I didn't expect the Riv to be as fast as my Tarmac but do you think the Schwalbe 40mm tires could be causing a large difference in speed?

I know we're talking about a bike that weighs probably twice as much as my Tarmac but could the speed be improved significantly with a different set of tires, and if so which tire would you suggest for urban commuting?
Yes, tires will make a difference. However, it isn't necessarily the width of the tire that makes the difference ... it's the weight. Google the weight of your Schwalbe and than google the weight of whatever tire you have on the Tarmac. I wouldn't be surprised if the Tarmacs tires weigh 1/3rd or less than the Schwalbe. Spinning weight has a lot more effect on performance than static weight; such as weight in your pannier. The wheels (rims, spokes and hub) also make a difference. I'd bet money the wheels on your Sam Hillborne's are designed for touring and moderate single track. This is a commuter and camping bike, and I suppose it could also be used for touring.

The Sam Hillborne is a true All Rounder. Many Sam H. owners who don't have a fast bike like the Tarmac will invest in a second set of wheels and tires for the group rides where speed is a priority. It's an easy swap and will transform the characteristics of the bike. But than again there are others who don't. My Bianchi road bike has been hanging on a hook in the garage since the day I brought home my Sam Hillborne. But to each their own. I understand the need for speed. I just don't have it anymore.

Here are a couple good sites to research tires for your Sam Hillborne:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!fo...w-owners-bunch

https://janheine.wordpress.com/

Just keep in mind lightweight high performance "wide" tires will cost $$$, durability will suffer and flats may become more of an issue. None of which I'm willing to sacrifice on my commute or recreational rides.

I hope this helps,

Matt

Last edited by Hangtownmatt; 09-12-15 at 10:30 PM.