Old 09-15-15, 02:34 PM
since197three

Bikes: 2015 Trek Farley 6, 2013 Trek 8.4 DS, '85 Hutch Trickstar, Schwinn S1 Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
It's not for everyone, especially those who never take to camping. My GF tried it and never really took to it.

The first night I spent in a tent was at the end of the first day of my first tour, which turned out to be a nearly four month, self-contained trip from Seattle to Bar Harbor, ME to Philly then on to Ocean City, NJ. Seattle to Bar Harbor I did with a group of 13 people. It was an organized Adventure Cycling Association tour, but we had no support. I went the group route because I was a total noob to touring. Not only had I never camped before, I had no idea what one needed to cook for one's self, much less 13 people. Also, there are economies of scale with small groups. I learned a lot during the trip, including that touring with strangers can pose challenges. I used what I learned to do a solo, seven week trip in southern Spain the following winter. Then I took another long trip out west, from Seattle to Cortez, CO. Didn't do any self contained touring after that for some 8 years then I picked it up again.

I now try to take at least one 8 or so day tour every year, preferably out west, and a few long weekends. I toured the Black Hills of SD this year and am planning to head back to SW Montana, where I was in 2011 and 2014. I also crossed PA via two different routes in 2013 and 2014. Taking a three-day trip this weekend to Belleplain State Forest in Woodbine, NJ. I'll take PATCO Lindenwold and then ride about 54 miles to the campground. Saturday I will take a day ride to the Cape May County Zoo and pick up groceries on the way back. Sunday, instead of retracing my route back to Lindenwold, I will ride into Ocean City and up the coast to A.C. to catch the train back to Philly. I find even short trips very refreshing. And when the weather is nice like it's supposed to be this weekend, you can run lighter. No need for cool/cold weather gear.
WOW. You really upped the bar with those rides lol. I really just begging to ride seriously and only up to 15 miles. A long road ahead of me.