Old 09-16-15, 09:44 AM
Rob_E

Bikes: Downtube 8H, Surly Troll

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch0038
What strategies do you use to maintain your energy level on a long tour? Do you stop at time intervals or mileage or will I just need to listen to my body and adjust accordingly?
Personally I don't trust my body. I like to think I'd get into a healthy routine on an extended trip, and my body would start sending useful messages, but for the short trips I take, I have to take a more reasoned approach because my body is still adjusting from its normal, sedentary routine. I don't get super hungry on a long ride, and I am likely to "crash" at some point, especially if I have a destination in mind. It's easy for me to convince myself that I might as well get to my destination and then worry about eating. I have to force myself to eat after every couple of hours of riding, or I will pay for it down the road.

What foods do you eat during the ride to keep you going?
I usually try to have some fruit handy. Usually a banana, pear, or apple. And some type of snack/granola/nut bar. I also stop at gas stations and find unhealthy junk to eat. But the other trick is that if I over eat, then not going to move very fast for a spell. That's okay, though. I don't move very fast in general, but my normal, slow pace combined with a food coma? Not pretty.

I prefer water but there are times when I need a sports drink but those sports drinks leave a stick taste in my mouth.....are there any other options that are better?
Yeah, I'm not sure what the real deal is with electrolytes and all that nonsense, but there are times, especially when I've been sweating, when plain water doesn't seem to be what I need. I'll drink a gatorade or a sugary soda or juice usually, but I've also used Nuun tablets ( https://nuun.com/ ) in my water. I wouldn't say they taste good, but they're not as overly sweet as the other offerings, and they give a little flavor to the water and supposedly replenish some of the other things you're losing. Might be worth a try if you don't care for the normal sports drinks.