View Single Post
Old 09-26-15, 04:53 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil View Post
The "failure" is in the shifter, not the derailleur. The derailleur is stupid, it only does what the shifter tells it to. The shifter's instructions reflect the action of the user. If the user doesn't push the shift lever quite as far one time as he/she did the previous time, the result may be different
Thanks.

Yes, I agree, but only in a certain degree. This is not a "free" shifting mechanism, as we used 30 years ago when we had to manually adjust the accurate position of the shifter / derailleur. It is a clever indexing device.

If I move it to maximum starting from the 11 teeth cog, it makes one supplementary "click" and it jumps 4 cogs (or sometimes - 20% - fails). If I move it to maximum starting from any other cog above 11 teeth, it makes one less "click" and it jumps 3 cogs, as written in the manual. It looks to me somehow inconsistent, so I suspect a wrong setting that I can not identify.

As about the tension of the cable - I assume that there is a maximum that I should not exceed, but I can not identify it. Low tension leads to failures in shifting to the mid range - 14 - 15 teeth cogs. So, I increase the tension in the cable, but how much? Maybe I go too far and this creates other type of failures? How can I identify the right tension of the cable?