Old 09-26-15, 04:59 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 544 Times in 358 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet View Post
Thanks.

Yes, I agree, but only in a certain degree. This is not a "free" shifting mechanism, as we used 30 years ago when we had to manually adjust the accurate position of the shifter / derailleur. It is a clever indexing device.

If I move it to maximum starting from the 11 teeth cog, it makes one supplementary "click" and it jumps 4 cogs (or sometimes - 20% - fails). If I move it to maximum starting from any other cog above 11 teeth, it makes one less "click" and it jumps 3 cogs, as written in the manual. It looks to me somehow inconsistent, so I suspect a wrong setting that I can not identify.

As about the tension of the cable - I assume that there is a maximum that I should not exceed, but I can not identify it. Low tension leads to failures in shifting to the mid range - 14 - 15 teeth cogs. So, I increase the tension in the cable, but how much? Maybe I go too far and this creates other type of failures? How can I identify the right tension of the cable?
The derailleur still has nothing to do with what happens. It is all about the shifter