View Single Post
Old 09-26-15, 08:41 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
This is a frequently asked question. There are 3 common problems with tool kits like that:
1. The omission of tools that you will likely need for your bikes. Freewheel remover, bottom bracket tools and threaded headset wrench come immediately to mind. You'll also need a set of metric end wrenches, a set of metric allen keys, and a GOOD cable cutter.
2. They force you to buy several tools that you won't need for your bikes. I see a bottom bracket tool, cassette tool and chain whip that won't work on your bikes.
3. Some of the tools that are there are kind of cheesy. I'd put that chain breaker and spoke wrench in that category.

I'm a believer in buying just the tools that you need as you find that you need them. I'm also a believer in stepping up a notch from entry level tools.
If its missing tools I'll likely need then I tend to agree that I should probably just pick up what I need, especially since I have all typical tools already, open end wrenches, screwdrivers, allen wrenches, etc. As far as bike specific tools I do already have a cheap spoke wrench and the Alien II tool which has many of these albeit in a pocket size.

I'll be needing all the tools here shortly since I plan on completely stripping one bike down to the bare frame but I just don't know what I'll need yet, so the simplicity of ordering a complete kit was appealing (but only if it was complete!). Some more research is in order I suppose. I'm also putting all modern components on so for those that differ from vintage to current, I suppose I'll need both.

But I suppose its worth asking, is there a more complete toolkit out there? Like what Larry posted? Or one of the even more expensive Park Tool kits? Or is buying the parts individually the way to go without doubt.