Old 10-01-15, 12:52 AM
DreamRider85

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Actually, not

I suspect that Bandera was posting in good faith, and intended a bit of irony. The truth is that cycling in traffic is SAFE, and no special bravery is needed. But newbies are being misled by fear mongers and constant repetition of "horror stories", which make more nervous than they should be.

I suggest working up to riding in traffic not because it's necessary, but because letting people see for themselves is easier than asking them to trust my reassurance.

The simple reality is that the majority of drivers are and always have been able to maneuver around bicycles quite well, and while close calls can be nerve wracking, they are still close calls and nothing more. The key to safe riding in traffic isn't to fret about the cars, but focus on one's own skills, starting with the ability to hold a straight line and control ones bicycle, and progressing to the ability to read and predict the actions of other road users.

I believe you. It's a major phobia I have. People think I'm trolling and the truth is I'm telling the truth. The thing is, I wanna ride in traffic. But then I second guess myself. At this point, that might be a good thing because I need more skills and experience. Can't run before you walk, especially in this sport.

I'm also looking for answers I wanna hear, admittedly.

In your opinion, what are the approximate lifetime odds of a cyclist dying if he rides a lot, often? (50 miles).

Most cycling deaths, are they the drivers fault or the cyclists fault?

Now as far as close calls, you really think they are nothing more? I mean close calls, are serious in my opinion. They could really mess with your mind, right? How could they be no big deal?

Last edited by DreamRider85; 10-01-15 at 12:56 AM.