Old 10-05-15, 12:28 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,916 Times in 2,547 Posts
For that, I use the wet (MTB) Finish Line lube. Wipe occasionally with a paper towel or rag. Do the same, relube and wipe again when it looks like it needs it. Dirty, messy (but does pretty much stay put on the chain and gears). And it does exactly what you are asking for. It works. One or tow or three (or) rides too many make very little difference. It takes a lot to wash it off. Come spring and good weather, pull or change the chain, thoroughly clean, relube witha "clean" lube and enjoy the summer. Next fall repeat.

Yes, you will see added drivetrain wear from winter grit. If that is unacceptable, given your time constraints, there are three choices. Don't ride, get a beater bike or move. But if you choose not to do anyoty of those three, the Finish Line will get you through the winter with everything in good shape save a little more wear than if those were summer months.

I do the wet on both my winter/city/rain bikes year 'round. And just accept that the drive train is the color drive trains should be (and evolve to naturally) - black. Also that pant clips are worn for a reason.

Edit: I haven't used Chain L. Finish Line is at most of the bike shops I go to, I use little enough and it lasts long enough that it isn't expensive and it has worked very well.

Ben

Last edited by 79pmooney; 10-05-15 at 12:34 PM.