View Single Post
Old 10-07-15, 03:03 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinzane View Post
Most perplexing!

Now, I'm using friction shifting, so I'll get the RD slightly misaligned which surely interacts with things. But I thought that it was odd as well since the force should be transferred across the TOP run of chain. And, the chain, cogs and chainrings are all close enough to new that wear is not an issue.

The fact that the pulleys are continuously out of plane is indisputable. And, they are not even consistently misaligned, which is worse. I'd try to figure it out, but it just ain't worth it. I'm just trying to get a good training/travelling RD that can handle a clumsy oaf of a rider.
You may also want to consider the RD "guards" they put on really cheap bikes. They protect the RD from getting bent in bike racks, when falling over, etc.

Something like this.

Cycling Bike Bicycle Rear Derailleur Chain Stay Guard Gear Aluminum Protector | eBay