View Single Post
Old 10-08-15, 04:59 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I'll consider disks on a road bike under the following conditions:
  • The combined setup (frame and calipers) is lighter than my rim brake setup. I pay a lot of $ to get lightweight carbon bling, so this is a high priority for me.
  • There is no increase in rear stay spacing. I don't want my heels banging up against my stays on every pedal stroke. The Q-factor on modern bikes is already ridiculously wide and biomechanically inefficient. It should not increase.
  • I don't want to pay a lot. I already get great dry and wet weather braking from rim brakes. Scott brake pads are amazing.
  • I don't want the stigma of having disk brakes on road group rides. Our group already puts these guys at the back of the pack over concerns over a general lack of experience and the ability to cause mass pile-ups. The disks should be small and stealthy.
  • I don't want any hassle over some bizarre new quick-release standard. On my bikes I grind those $%#!@!! lawyer tabs off the forks, so that when I flip the lever the wheel falls out. Like it should. A quick release. Any kind of 'pass-through' or whatever axle is a pain in the ass.