Old 10-09-15, 07:14 PM
RubenX 
Look! My Spine!

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The EPIC Battle: Ruben Vs RAID5 Array

The array was created like 6 years ago. It's 4 disks of 2TB each, on RAID5, using the AMD RAID that came on the motherboard bios (AMD). It worked perfectly for years. Like 2 years ago the disks were disconnected and taken out of the cage, safely stored. Now I'm trying to bring the array back online on the same motherboard and it seems this is my predicament:

Disk 1-1: Healthy
Disk 1-2: does nothing....
Disk 1-3: Healthy
Disk 1-4: Shows up as "unassigned"

The RAID software on the mobo doesn't let me assign that 4th disk back to 1-4, and disk #2 seems to be dead.... Fault tolerance can only handle one disk having issues.

After a few reboots I disconnected disks #1 and #3 (they seems ok), then plugged #2 and #4 into a PCI SATA card and booted up. Now Windows 7's disk manager can see the drives #2 and #4 , just doesn't know how to read those partitions created by the AMD Bios RAID software.

The software on the mobo doesnt seem to have any tools to recover from a failure (I should had check that years ago). I wonder if there's any utility out there that could emulate AMD's BIOS Raid, and possibly gimme more options to recover/rebuild.