Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
To Wave or Not To Wave ...

First of all, usually the "waving and shaving" threads come out in the northern hemisphere spring. Odd to see one in the southern hemisphere spring.

Secondly, the roadie wave is either a very small movement of the fingers or a slight nod of the head. Newbies might miss it if they are expecting a big clown wave.

[HR][/HR]
I don't think cyclists should expect other cyclists to greet them. If a cyclist wants to focus on what he/she is doing or on the world around him/her ... rather than a cyclist on the other side of the road ... that's perfectly OK.

Why I might not wave:

1) I may not wave because there are a lot of cyclists out there, and waving at everyone one of them would become a little wearing. Plus at some point, I've got to focus on what I'm doing.

2) Quite often I am concentrating and I don't see other cyclists. They blend into the background, into the non-potentially-dangerous scenery. I may notice them out of the corner of my eye as they go by, but it's too late to wave then. This especially happens when I am riding down a road with a lot of traffic and the other cyclist is on the other side of the road. Or if the road is rough and full of potholes and other hazards, and I'm focused on not doing damage to myself or the bicycle. Or maybe I'm listening for an odd clicking noise and wondering where it's coming from.

3) I have had incidents where I have not waved when I'm coming in from a long, hard brevet or double-century or something, and I just don't care who is out there anymore. If I'm tired, perhaps hungry, and trying to focus on staying out of trouble, I'll be significantly less inclined to wave or even notice other cyclists out there. I really don't care. I just want to finish the ride. Often people tell me I look fresh when I finish these things, but I feel exhausted ... so you just never know where the other cyclist on the road has been and what sort of ride that person is in the middle of or wrapping up. Sometimes cyclists may not wave because they are fatigued.

4) If I'm climbing or descending a hill, even what you might consider a small hill, you can be almost guaranteed there will be NO WAVING going on. Chances are, I won't even acknowledge your existence. I'm concentrating ... both climbing and descending are difficult for me, and require both hands on the handlebars, and my brain occupied with the task at hand.

5) Sometimes I just don't feel like waving. You might be another roadie, someone on a mtn bike, a hybrid, a fixie, or a unicycle, I don't care ... I just don't feel like waving ... not in the mood. This can happen when something has not gone well at work, or I'm struggling with a university assignment, or whatever, and I'm out there riding to burn off the stress, and work some things out in my mind. I'm focusing on the situation I'm dealing with, and on any potential dangers (traffic, potholes, etc.), but another cyclist is the least of my concerns just then.

6) If the scenery is particularly lovely, I might wave now and then, but chances are if I'm approaching a gorgeous view, I'll have one eye on the view and one eye on the road/traffic conditions ... and no eyes looking for other cyclists. I've seen other cyclists, for the most part they look pretty much the same and not that beautiful. But the scenery is always changing, and it is beautiful. I'd rather look at it.

7) If I'm riding in some sort of paceline, even just right behind Rowan, I might not wave because I'm focusing on 1) not touching the wheel in front of me, because if I touch the wheel in front I will go down, 2) maintaining the draft, and 3) not running into a tree branch or pothole, 4) any hand signals the rider in front of me is making.

8) If it is safe to do so, and Rowan and I are riding side by side and talking, we might not wave. We're in conversation and also focusing on cycling, road conditions, etc.

Just a few reasons why I might not wave ... or in other words ... it's not all about you.

Last edited by Machka; 10-09-15 at 08:21 PM.