Old 10-14-15, 10:32 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Gigglesnit
Really enjoyed this video, thanks for posting it. I do love having a car that could take me from one coast to the other in a few days, but when I move away from here (hopefully within the next year or two!) one thing I'll be looking at for potential new homes will be how safe is it to cycle and walk? It's frustrating to have so many places within easy distance of where I live and to have to get in my car on beautiful sunny days because the roads and drivers are terrible for anything else.
It always comes down to building appropriate infrastructure, which was one of the points made in the video.

If a 10 year old kid can't bike or walk safely in a neighborhood, the infrastructure is inappropriate, IMO. Elderly people and the disabled should also be able to travel without cars, or it's back to the drawing board.

Of course, personal habits and characteristics are also important. People have to develop the mindset to be carfree, or they're not going to do it, even in the few areas where infra is already good.

"Think Outside the Cage"