Old 10-14-15, 03:16 PM
Spaghetti Legs 

Bikes: Numerous

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 769 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Complex Colnago bottom bracket issue - Warning! Carbon fiber content.

This may not be vintage, but I think definitely classic as it involves my 1996 C40 - first year this was produced. It's been sitting in a box for years due to this problem, but I've gotten the itch to get it back on the road.I think the threads may be worn in the BB shell because when I thread the bottom bracket on the drive side, there's a little wiggle and when it gets to the point of tightening it to the frame the bearing will slip and loosen and I can't get it tight. I took it to the shop, not the LBS as there isn't one that can deal with Italian thread frames, this one is an hour away. The wrench, an older, experienced sounding gent, didn't think there was a save for this and that chasing the threads would not help. I'm currently exploring options for replacing the BB shell, which may be very expensive, if not impossible.

So to my question for you smart folks, or anyone else willing to offer an opinion:

In the meanwhile, I'm messing around and I thread a fixed cup from a 1980's Campy Record bottom bracket and it wiggles a little while threading, just like the Chorus cartridge bracket I tried, but the fixed cup will tighten down, and I can torque it pretty hard without giving way. BTW, I don't think the issue is with the Chorus bracket as I had the same problem with Ultegra and FSA BB's before consigning the frame to "the penalty box". So I'm reconsidering to maybe have the threads chased anyway, gamble the $20 to see if that helps. Option B would be to use the Record loose bearings with the cups that work. I want to put Campy 10 speed double on it, which requires a 102 mm axle. Is there an axle around from the 80's that would fit the bill and work with these cups? Would modern Centaur, which I believe uses a 113 mm axle, work with an old Record BB?

As always, thank you for your attention and advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_1659.jpg (78.3 KB, 35 views)