View Single Post
Old 10-15-15, 07:50 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3135 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Slaninar
On pavement, where threads can't dig into the surface - the less thread the better. Extremes are knobby tyres - the worst and slick tyres - the best. Yes, there is a situation where a piece of thread could grip just behind a small groove in the asphalt, but on 99% of situations it doesn't line up - so has no benefit, just reduces traction.

Slick tyre, wide, with lower pressure, so that it can make shape to fit the road texture is as good as it gets on a bicycle on a dry or wet pavement. Everything else is just marketing. It's easier to take people's money, than to explain what I'm trying to explain now.
I have no idea where you get your "facts," like "99% and "just marketing," but Conti, Challenge, Specialized, and Vittoria uniformly disagree with you:

Technical FAQ: Tire grip in wet conditions - VeloNews.com

So, sorry, I'm going with the tire pros and my own reasoning on this, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.