Bike Gremlin
Mostly harmless ™

Bikes: Heavy, with friction shifters

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
If you choose to ignore the statements of people from the most preeminent tire manufacturers in the world, and do so without any reason, without having your own bona fides, you're just not having an honest and serious conversation.

Even a small gesture of seriousness, like ceasing to use the word "thread" rather than "tread pattern" would do much to demonstrate you may be something other than a joker.
English is not my mother tongue. Does that automatically mark me as a joker? How many languages do you speak?

I quoted Continental who sad:

"Tread patterns are largely aesthetic".

But you do have a point. Until an experiment is made, it is argument without evidence - both pro and con "tread pattern". My experience does confirm that slick tyres grip better. Knobby tyres are the worst, both dry and wet. Tyres with tread profile like marathon plus are a bit better. Slick tyres are the best. For cold and wet, the best tyre is slick with a bit "softer" compound, like Continental GP 4 seasons (they have a line, like 0.1 mm deep, for people who think like you i believe ). But that is personal, not experimental scientific evidence though. Real thing would be an unbiased, documented experiment.

Last edited by Bike Gremlin; 10-16-15 at 10:51 AM.