View Single Post
Old 10-18-15, 03:10 PM
bashley
bashley

Bikes: Mariposa touring, Miyata Terra Runner, Bacchetta recumbent, Raleigh Superbe, Peugeot Bretagne, Miyata 610,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eschlwc View Post
- i always replace those big, clunky seatpost bolts with chromoly ones from my lbs. they're like $2.50. you can also find them on ebay for a few dollars more.

- i've had good luck loosening those notched headset lock nuts using two tools together, a bb spanner and a rubber handled wrench to make the spanner fit. try tightening the adjustable cup slightly before attempting to loosen that nut. else, just take it to a shop where you know works on c&v bikes.

- i prefer 6-speed freewheels with 8-speed chains rather than 7-speeds and 9s chains. they're less cumbersome and shift easier/quieter for the kind of riding i do. i like sunrace and ird freewheels.
Thanks eschlwc. Good tips. I'll follow up on the chomoly seatpost bolt suggestion and probably, too, sticking with 6-speed freewheel. I'll have to give your workaround on the notched headset ring some creative thought. The bit about tightening first is endorsed by the guy who wrote the Rusty Nut Bible! Actually, if it can be done, try to slow rock it, tighten-loosen-tighten-loosen and so forth.