View Single Post
Old 10-19-15, 10:04 AM
DarthMonkey

Bikes: 1990 Cannondale ST Custom Road Bike, 1999 Trek 830 AL Mountain bike, and a 2015 Soma Double Cross Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chriskmurray
I might have to try a step down thing like this, thanks! Caffeine and sugar are pretty nasty addictions to break for sure.
Another trick is help the psychological side for the first few days is drink water until you don't want to drink anymore of anything. After a few days of breaking the pattern the urge will start to diminish and it should be easier to ignore.

Also look at your life and when you drink the energy drinks. Are there specific triggers. Mine was a just time of day. Between 2-4 hours after I woke up I would start feeling a little slow and craving a boost. I know other people who get there coffee as soon as they walk in the office door, or when driving by a certain starbucks on their commute. If you find (or suspect) a trigger change your behavior or schedule to help avoid it until you have better control, then address the trigger.

As for the posters saying cold turkey. Cold Turkey works for some, but not everyone, and even then requires a plan to achieve success if starting from a true addiction(physiological or psychological). There is plenty of research showing addiction and Pavlovian habit breaking success for unsupported cold turkey to be less than 5% (lower than a placebo pill), just knowing you have support, a plan, tricks, or whatever outside help you are using, will increase your chances of success dramatically. This means that just thinking that you are getting outside help is more effective for beating bad habits than going it alone on sheer willpower. This is why denial diets without lifestyle changes(a plan) rarely last.

If you are able to easily walk away your weren't really hooked to begin with.

Good luck - You can do it!