Old 10-20-15, 08:35 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kactus
As with most things in life, doing something right isn't as easy, or cheap, as it looks. If it were, we would be reading about how wonderful the $49.99 eBay specials are.

I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with.
Yes, as long as it turns out well and functional, I plan on writing a post on it. Oh and I didn't mean to imply it would be easy or cheap for anyone to do, at least for someone that isn't a DIYer already with a good amount of tools and supplies. I just wonder how much mark up is in these things. For example:

I know, apples and oranges here but just compare the materials since both of these cost about the same. 4,000 lb rated engine stand to the left. Made mostly out of thick heavy duty 1/4" and 3/16" steel tubing. Also has 6 super heavy duty casters, and a hydraulic cylinder. Weighs well over 100 lbs. The bike stand can lift 80 lbs and features extremely thin tubing, a clamp, and a couple of joints that allow it to slide and rotate. Total weight closer to 20 lbs. I fail to see how the park stand is worth more than about $50. Oh... mark-up. yeah I think the profit margin is several times greater on the Park Tool.

One reason I thought of the engine hoist / shop crane is because I already have one in my garage. My thought is to actually us it since I have it laying around already... just make a bike clamp attachment that slides into the end where the short bit of chain and clevis grab hook usually goes. The steel tubing there is 2" I.D. and I happen to have some 2" O.D. tubing laying around from another project that slides into it nicely. And replacing the bolt with a quick hitch pin will allow to swap between engine hoist and bike stand back and forth in just seconds (well even with the regular bolt it would still be only seconds, but maybe 30 versus 5 seconds).