Old 10-23-15, 06:33 AM
TimmyT 
Keener splendor

Bikes: Black Mountain Cycles Road, Cannondale CAAD12, Nigel Dean Tour Ace, Lemond Poprad

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
This is a Frankenbike.

The dropout is a Campy 1010 type. Internationals used them. If we are to believe it is a Competition (not a G.S.), then it would use Huret dropouts, not Campy, correct?

I suspect the paint is not original.
It's a typical sort of Raleigh Frankenbike. It left the factory in a very similar form. I think the paint is original.

Competitions only had Huret dropouts in 1973 and part of 1974. Others used included Zeus (actually made by Reynolds for Zeus), SunTour, Campagnolo. There are probably others, too.

The only part I suspect as non original is the front derailleur. Everything else looks about right for 1977.
The Raleigh branded cranksets in the US that I have seen were SR Apex. This is a nicer model.

Even if you did have a German catalog, it might not be in it, so even that might not be conclusive.
Note to you BLOWHARD MORONS out there: The fork is not bent. Most PEUGEOTS of the '70s forks DID NOT line up with the head tube angle. This is normal. The last pic is from the 1972 Dutch catalog showing this EXACT MODEL in diagram. Keep your comments to yourself......