Old 10-23-15, 04:36 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulRivers
I've met people who just don't like to bike, but haven't met anyone who's comfortable at 8-10mph but has a problem at 19-20mph. Most people drive so their brain is used to processing higher speeds, and can pick it up in a few minutes.
I think you ride/commute with a more experiences crowd than I do. On my way to work, the MUP is downhill (not a lot, railroad grade, rails-to-trails) and I see plenty of folks going 8-10 mph and using the brakes to maintain that speed. I'd hate to see them at 19-20mph... and if so, I don't think I'd want to be riding with them in a group. Even in some of my fitness ride groups where I think most of the riders are pretty fit and experienced, I see riders back off someone's wheel at 20 mph, and ride the brakes on downhill stretches so they don't get much above that. There are times when 20mph is too fast for me. In the mornings when I commute on the MUP it's dark. Even though I have great lights, I'm not comfortable at 20 mph. I've had too many close calls with deer jumping out in front of me or rabbits or squirrels (get one of those jammed between your tire, fender, and fork and you go down pretty quick - hasn't happened to be yet, but I've seen it twice) that I just don't trust my reaction time or bike handling skills.

So, even with an e-bike, I think you have to be cognizant of experience and bike handling skills. I know someone that has a specialized e-bike. Top speed 28mph with assist. I'm not going to hop on the back wheel of an inexperienced rider while he's trying to maintain that speed. Just because you have the ability to go fast, doesn't mean you should, especially if you don't have the bike handling skills for those speeds. I'm sure that you are aware of the abilities of those that you plan to ride with. You're knowledgeable, you're not going to let them do anything crazy... and if they do, you're not going to be part of it.

Anyway, I think we're off topic. This was supposed to be about e-bike "commuting." I think we are talking about a whole different animal now.

Last edited by InTheRain; 10-23-15 at 04:44 PM.